Followers

Sunday, June 19, 2011

"A Jog Through Worcester"-June 18, 2011

Editors note: I was going to start my journal log on running last week but kinda forgot where I jogged that day.  Don't hold it against me...

Destination: Shrewsbury Street
Length: 4 miles

June 18, 2011-"Genesis"
     Why do this?  Because I feel as if a certain city needed to be shown in a certain light, instead of the horrors that everyone else say it is.  Granted, I cannot fully speak for the city of Worcester, but I am going to try through the means of jogging.  Or running if you will...I must admit right off the bat that I am not a big fan of running because it is a) boring and b) I am not great with running long distances.  I'd rather much prefer to do sprints on a baseball diamond or a football field or a basketball court.  I feel as if I derive greater results from doing fast, high-intensity work than plodding along for 4-5 miles or yes, more.  And that's another reason why I am doing it: to do something that I am not great at to get better at it.  My girlfriend loves to run, can't get enough of running long distances, absolutely would do it each and every time she went to workout.  I would love to join her in that enthusiasm or at the very least, keep up with her.  A few years ago, she was churning out 9 mile runs in near 100 degree heat at Vanderbilt like it was nothing and I was impressed.  She hates it when it is hot outside.  I, however love it when it's hot.
     Yesterday, I mapped out a 4 mile run to get started on my mission and chose what I lovingly refer to as "The Strip" in Worcester.  Shrewsbury Street has got plenty in the way to offer to people...if you are hungry or thirsty.  My jog officially starts from Bancroft Commons on Franklin Street (where I live) over to Union Station and under I-290.  Union Station was busy this morning.  Along with the usual throng of people coming off the T, there are travel buses all lined up underneath the overpass probably booked for Boston or Albany or some other cities along the northeast part of the country.  If you were heading to Boston yesterday, you should have been prepared for a party for it was the Boston Bruins Stanley Cup celebration during the midday.  I heard over 1 million people showed up to see the B's and Lord Stanley's chalice going along the parade route.  Good for those fans in a city where sports teams have been running like a hot craps table, only it's be a decade long run.  Counting college, there have been 11 championships in the New England/Boston area in the last 10 years.   I have been waiting 17 years for one.  Thanks Mets, Jets, Knicks, and Rangers.
     The first real landmark heading east on Shrewsbury Street is not food but a gas station.  A full service Sunoco with Pat's Towing Services.  The latter has cornered the Worcester towing market.  Look anywhere downtown in the city at the parking lots: Pat's Towing will remove all violators or along those lines.  Hell, they even tow our cars in our apartment for not paying their parking fee.  They are like the Godfather of this stuff: cash only, unmarked bills, keep it clean and let's not have this happen again.  And yes, I have been a visitor to their "lot" where they keep all their towed cars, piling up like a gold mine.  But I'm not bitter or anything...let's just move on.  As I jog up, we get to the copious amounts of restaurants that flood Shrewsbury Street.  Via and 111 (or One-Eleven as it known too, yes redundant) share a corner, both of which I hear are great to eat, but expensive.  Hey, I work in retail...not making 50K a year over here people.  Going a bit further, there is the Wonder Bar and a discount liquor store that has got everything that could be fermented or triple distilled in it.  Just past that is Scrub-a-Dub Car Wash, perhaps a place to clean your car after you get it back from Pat's Towing.  Perhaps they could dole out a 2-for-1 special.  Pick up your towed car and get a receipt for Scrub-a-Dub for a free car wash and vacuuming. 
     Mac's Diner is pretty neat.  Old-school diner, old-school payment (cash), and old-school rules: Bring Your Own Beer.  About 18 months ago, I remember a sign outside the diner thanking everyone who helped save the diner from I guess folding.  That's one of the cooler things that I have seen living in New England: people have kept their traditional values and sense of independence.  I mean, I have not named one corporate chain restaurant yet, right?  And I will only name two (Subway and Dunkin' Donuts).  While we're on DD, the one on Shrewsbury Street has two crowds that show up en masse: one is obvious (Worcester PD-their cop cars are always there); the other?  Bikers!  I always see several choppers parked on the street next to DD and today was no exception.  And yes, cops as well sneaking in their 5th bearclaw of the morning.  Perhaps it would make more sense for bikers parking there had it been like 2pm instead of 930am because of Funky Murphy's. 
     Now this place has got an awesome idea.  Full bar, flat screen TV's, and outdoor dining, but they also have retractable windows so indoor customers can still take in the weather and a summer breeze.  They also got a bowling league too!  And I still haven't eaten there yet?  Shrewsbury Street goes slightly uphill after that and then levels off a bit then goes back up and they have the Fred Astaire Dancing Studio and Bancroft Massage Therapy (the east side restaurants are gone at this point) and up the next hill, there is Tommy's Barber Shop with one of the more recognizable signs in the window for Your's Truly: "Hippies Allowed".  Namaste, Tommy's.
     The march back downhill begins around the 2 mile mark right at Picadilly Pub.  OK, I need some chain clarification.  I have seen two of them but I don't know if it is local or not, someone write back to me on this please.  The west side is no different than the east side (numerous restaurants at the bottom, old stores and houses at the top), then suddenly the sun starts to peak out.  I love the sunshine...it is arguably the most serene thing you can see in your lifetime that we all take for granted.  It is in a perfect place in our solar system for Earth to grow and prosper and for us to enjoy days like these when it comes out and lights up the sky.  Although thankfully, it waited until I turned back home to peek out, otherwise it would have been in my eyes the whole time.
     Along the west side, there is a tattoo and piercing emporium (no thanks), a Brazilian-style eatery (thanks), as well as a fitness center, which the name escapes me but I do know this: they got a huge-ass tire in the middle of the sidewalk.  With no one looking, I decided to get some plyometrics in and hop in and out of the monster truck tire and keep on jogging.  I find it kinda funny that on a street where there is like 600 places to eat, this is the only place to burn it off.  The Flying Rhino and Junior's follow the unique "small restaurant but outdoor seating" setup that other stores on the street follow (goes for Brew City as well and their thousands of beer choices).  While I am jogging, all the restaurant signs have the upcoming Taste of Shrewbury Street coming up June 21st, which gives people samples of some of the food from all the local places.  Genius call.  Also along the west side, I jog by the recently renovated Christopher Columbus park.  It has added a playground and smurf-colored tennis court in recent months to add to activity.  It also has a man made/natural amphitheater which would be great for local bands to crank out their music and play to crowds.
     Mezcal has got great house margaritas...get there once in your life.  I have never eaten there but I bet the food is great too.  If it is too spicy for you, certainly get to Brew City.  Beers, burgers, huge pulled pork nacho appetizer, and a fondue-type S'mores desert you got to try.  And now you wonder why I am jogging???  Call it the Brew City Effect.  As my jog ends, I really feel good-my breath is calm, my legs are good, but as the sun starts to burn, I feel another burn: my left pinky toe is blistering up.  A drag because if I had a day off, I could have done the loop again and gotten 6-8 miles in which I am shocked about.  I didn't think I had that in me to start.  In the end, it is best to get back home.  I only saw one other person jogging this morning, which is sad but also not surprising.  Shrewsbury Street isn't the best place to jog, especially if it is busy, plus there are other good places to run through Worcester.  Hopefully, some of which I'll tell you more about as the summer goes along.

    Namaste, 
    Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment